Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday With the Pope...but really.

My first weekend in Rome and I already have blisters on the heels of my feet, two plane tickets to Munich and Athens, and an album of pictures that look like they've been ripped straight out of a Rick Steves "Rome Top 10" book...so I'm putting that down as quite the accomplishment for a mere seven days.  From the ruins of the roman forum to the domineering heights of the colosseum, I don't even think I could describe how powerful this city now seems.  The blend of old ruins and ancient buildings next to something as simple and modern as an ATM or even a McDonalds is just amazing to me.  It reminds me of those old tessellations we used to make in grade school.  You know, in probably sixth grade you'd make a shape out of construction paper and then repeat it over and over using all these different colors and patterns, and back then you were always surprised that it all seemed to fit together into this big picture...well that's what I saw this weekend.  A tessellation of Rome, where every piece was different but somehow fit together and was the same.  It made one big picture, and if any part was missing it just wouldn't make sense as a whole. The ancient somehow goes with the new, and the city wouldn't be right any other way.  Sounds kind of stupid, I know, but so were making tessellations in sixth grade so I think the analogy stands.

Today I woke up at the ungodly time of 7:45 to walk to the Vatican City...ironic right? Upon entering, the first thing that comes to mind is how purely white everything is compared to the constant colors of Rome.  The stone of the buildings, the cobbled streets, the marbled statues, all stark white.  The city seems so clean and fresh, even delicate, and then you turn the corner and the bold domed roof of the cupola stands proud  and domineering in the square, and I must admit it was the most commanding and beautiful dome I had ever seen (sorry Notre Dame).  We sat through mass underneath the intricate ceilings of the Basilica, listening to the lilting Italian of the priests and trying to take in the sheer weight of where we actually were. It was probably the most visually stimulating and moving things I have ever experienced, and I've been to Fisher Hall Mass since freshman year so that's saying something.  So don't worry, I prayed for all of you in the Vatican for this and all the week(ends) to come in the bend (here's looking at you Smicks).   ....oh and then I saw the Pope in a tiny window...so that was pretty cool too.

So I'd say my first week has been one for the books.  I miss home and Qdoba (obviously), but I have the orphanage and Pascuccis which, right now, seems just right for me. So thanks family for telling me that you're eating drunken chicken and mashed potatoes for dinner, but I'm in the eternal city so I think I may win this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment